Zhichao Zhang, Visiting Scholar at UCB
Ph.D, Associated Professor, Chongqing University, China
Office: 516 Davis Hall
Dr. Zhichao Zhang is a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley and a research faculty in the School of Civil Engineering of Chongqing University in China. He got his ph.D degree in geotechnical engineering from Tsinghua University, where he started the researches in the field of Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical coupling theory. Based on the non-equilibrium thermodynamics, his work mainly focuses on developing a unified static and dynamic constitutive theory for geomaterials subjected to complex mechanical, thermal and hydrological loadings. Supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China and the Chongqing Science and Technology Committee, he is also studying the behavior of unsaturated soils and the thermo-mechanical coupled behavior of energy pile foundation from both the laboratory and numerical perspectives.
THM coupling theory
Constitutive and numerical modeling for geomaterials
Soil dynamics and unsaturated soil mechanics
Energy pile foundation
Elasticity and Plasticity (Graduate student)
Mechanics of Materials (Undergraduate student)
Theoretical Mechanics (Undergraduate student)
1. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. A thermodynamic constitutive model for undrained monotonic and cyclic shear behavior of saturated soils. Acta Geotechnica, 2015, 10(6): 781-796.
2. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. A Thermo-mechanical constitutive model based on Granular Solid Hydrodynamics for clay. Computers and Geotechnics.2016, 80:373-382.
3. Zhichao Zhang. Predictions of cyclic yielding behavior of solids based on a nonequilibrium thermodynamic theory. Mech. Mater. 2018, 118: 85-93.
4. Yang Xiao, Zhichao Zhang, Jingkai Wang. Granular hyperelasticity with stress-induced and inherent anisotropy, Acta Geotechnica 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-019-00768-z.
5. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. Critical state and ultimate state surface of soils: a granular solid hydrodynamic perspective. Granular Matter, 2015, 17: 253-263.
6. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. Effective stress in saturated soil: a granular solid hydrodynamics approach. Granular Matter, 2014, 16(5): 761-769.
7. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. A Fully Coupled THM Model Based on a Non-equilibrium Thermodynamic Approach and its Application, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 2017, 41.
8. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. Predicting the cyclic behavior of suction caisson foundations using the finite element method. Ships and Offshore Structures, DOI: 10.1080/17445302.2016.1158686.
9. Zhichao Zhang. A thermodynamics-based theory for the thermo-poro-mechanical modeling of saturated clay. International Journal of Plasticity, 2017, 92:164-185.
10. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. Formulation of Tsinghua-Thermosoil Model: A Fully Coupled THM Model Based on Non-equilibrium Thermodynamic Approach, In: L. Laloui and A. Ferrari (Eds.): Multiphysical Testing of Soils and Shales, SSGG, Berlin: Spring-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, pp. 155-161.
11. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. A Thermo-mechanical constitutive model based on Granular Solid Hydrodynamics for clay. International Symposium on Geomechanics from Micro to Macro, 2014, Cambridge.
12. Zhichao Zhang, Xiaohui Cheng. Thermodynamic constitutive model for non-isothermal consolidation and undrained shear behaviors of saturated soils. China Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 2013, 35(7): 1297-1306.