Professor, Visiting Scholar (Wuhan University)
Dr. Zi-Jun Cao was a visiting scholar in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, USA. He holds a position as a professor in the School of Water Resources and Hydropower Engineering, Wuhan University.
Dr. Cao earned his PhD from City University of Hong Kong (2012). His main research interests include uncertainty quantification in geotechnical engineering, simulation-based geotechnical reliability analysis and design, probabilistic observational method for geotechnical structures, and geotechnical risk assessment and management. Dr. Cao has published 3 research monograph/book chapters and 51 international journal papers. His papers have received 1218 citations (H-index 20) in Web of Knowledge and 1787 citations (H-index 23) in Google Scholar, among which 8 papers are Highly Cited Paper by Essential Science Indicators (ESI)
Dr. Cao is the member of ISSMGE TC304 (Engineering Practice of Risk Assessment and Management) and TC309(Machine Learning and Big Data), Geotechnical Safety Network (GEOSNet), Engineering Risk and Insurance Research Council (ERIRC) of China Civil Engineering Society (CCES). He is presently serving on secretary chair of Young Researcher Committee of ERIRC, editorial board member and senior editorial assistant of Georisk (Taylor & Francis). Dr. Cao is a recipient of the Outstanding Young Researcher Fellowship, CAST (2017), Highly Cited Research Award, Engineering Geology, Elsevier (2017), the First Prize of Natural Science of Hubei Province, China (2017), Oversea Research Fellowship for Outstanding Young Researcher, Wuhan University (2017), Luo-Jia Young Scholar Award, Wuhan University, (2015), Chu-Tian Scholar Award, Hubei Province, China (2014) and Excellent Young Scholar Award, Wuhan University (2013).
Ten Representative Publications:
- Cao, Z. J., Zheng, Sh., Li, D. Q., Phoon, K. K. (2018). Bayesian Identification of Soil Stratigraphy based on Soil Behaviour Type Index. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2017-0714.
- Cao, Z. J., Wang, Y., and Li, D. Q. (2017). Probabilistic Approaches for Geotechnical Site Characterization and Slope Stability Analysis. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. (Monograph)
- Cao, Z. J., Wang, Y., and Li, D. Q. (2016). Site-specific characterization of soil properties using multiple measurements from different test procedures at different locations–A Bayesian Sequential Updating Approach. Engineering Geology, 211, 150–161.
- Cao, Z. J., Wang, Y., and Li, D. Q. (2016). Quantification of prior knowledge in geotechnical site characterization. Engineering Geology, 203, 107–116.
- Wang, Y., Cao, Z. J., Li, D. Q. (2016). Bayesian perspective on geotechnical variability and site characterization. Engineering Geology, 203, 117–125.
- Cao, Z. J. and Wang, Y. (2014). Bayesian model comparison and selection of spatial correlation functions for soil parameters. Structural Safety, 49, 10-17.
- Cao, Z. J. and Wang, Y. (2014). Bayesian model comparison and characterization of undrained shear strength. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 140(6), 04014018.
- Cao, Z. J. and Wang, Y. (2013). Bayesian approach for probabilistic site characterization using cone penetration tests. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 139(2), 267-276.
- Wang, Y. and Cao, Z. J. (2013). Expanded reliability-based design of piles in spatially variable soil using efficient Monte Carlo simulations. Soils and Foundations, 53(6), 820-834, 2013.
- Wang, Y., Cao, Z. J., and Au, S. K. (2011). Practical analysis of slope stability by advanced Monte Carlo Simulation in spreadsheet. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 48(1), 162-172.