Associate Professor (China University of Geosciences ), visiting scholar
Office: 418 Davis Hall
Email: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Jin Luo obtained his Bachelor and Master degree from China University of Geosciences (CUG, Wuhan) with major in Geotechnical Engineering. He subsequently did a PhD at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in Germany and graduated in 2014. His doctoral work was on ground source heat pump (GSHP) system installed in Nuremberg city. Geothermal borehole field of the GSHP system was investigated via system monitoring, field tests and numerical simulation.
He is currently an Associate professor in Faculty of Engineering, China University of Geosciences (CUG) since 2014. His work focuses on thermo-mechanical behaviors of energy piles and geothermal potential evaluation of Hot Dry Rock (HDR) reservoir, as well as chemical investigation of the hydraulic properties of fractured granite. Dr. Jin Luo is currently a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley and he is working on thermally induced geo-mechanical and environmental issues during geothermal exploitation.
- Determination of thermal properties of geological materials;
- Ground investigation for geothermal systems;
- Evaluation of potential for shallow and deep geothermal energy;
- Analysis of heat transport efficiency of ground heat exchangers in underground;
- Chemical stimulation on hydraulic properties of fractured rocks;
- Numerical modeling of heat and flow process in fractured and porous media.
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Bayer M., Priess A., Xiang W. Analysis on performance of borehole heat exchanger in a layered subsurface. Applied Energy 123 (2014) 55-65. (SCI, IF=7.182).
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Xiang W., Bayer M., Priess A., Wilkmann L., Steger H., Zorn R. Experimental investigation of a borehole field by Enhanced Geothermal Response Test and numerical analysis of performance of the Borehole Heat Exchangers. Energy, 84(2015) 473-484. (SCI, IF=4.159)
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Bayer M., Priess A. Thermal performance and economic evaluation of double U-tube borehole heat exchanger with three borehole diameters. Energy and Buildings 67 (2013) 217-224. (SCI, IF=4.067).
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Bayer M., Priess A. Modeling and experiments on energy loss in horizontal connecting pipe of vertical ground source heat pump system. Applied Thermal Engineering 61 (2013) 55-64. (SCI, IF=3.356)
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Bayer M., Priess A. Thermal Efficiency Comparison of Borehole Heat Exchangers with Different Drillhole Diameters. Energies 6 (2013) 4187-4206. (SCI, IF=2.707)
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Bayer M., Priess A. Wilkmann L., Xiang W. Heating and cooling performance analysis of a ground source heat pump system in Southern Germany. Geothermics 53 (2015) 57-66. (SCI, IF=2.860). (ESI highly cited paper)
- Luo J.*, Rohn J., Xiang W., Bertermann D., Blum P. Ground source heat pump system: A review of ground investigations in borehole field. Energy and Buildings 117(2016) 160-175 (SCI, IF=4.067).
- Luo J*, Zhao H.F., Gui S.Q., Xiang W., Rohn J., Blum P. Thermal-economic analysis of four different types of ground heat exchangers in energy piles. Applied Thermal Engineering, 108 (2016)11-19 (SCI, IF=3.356).
- Luo J*, Jia Jia, Haifeng Zhao, Yongqiang Zhu, Qinghai Guo, Chaojie Chenga, Long Tan, Wei Xiang, Joachim Rohn, Philipp Blum. Determination of thermal conductivity of sandstone from laboratory to field scale. Environ Earth Sci, 75(2016)1158:1-9 (SCI, IF=1.765)
- Luo J.*, Zhu Y.Q., Guo Q.H., Tan L., Zhuang Y.Q., Liu M.L., Zhang C.H., Xiang W., Rohn J. Experimental investigation of the hydraulic and heat-transfer properties of artificially fractured granite. Scientific reports. (SCI, IF=5.228). Sci. Rep. 6, 39882; doi: 10.1038/srep39882 (2017).
- Luo J*, Zhao H.F., Gui S.Q., Xiang W., Rohn J. Comparison of ground temperature response of energy pile and borehole heat exchanger during thermal response tests. Environ Earth Sci, (2016) 75-1158 (SCI, IF=1.765). DOI: 10.1007/s12665-016-6267-0.
- Luo J*, Zhao H.F., Gui S.Q., Jia J. Xiang W., Rohn J., Blum P. Study on operation management of borehole heat exchangers for a large-scale hybrid ground source heat pump system in China. Energy 123(2017) 340-352. (SCI, IF=4.520).
- Luo J*, Zhao H.F., Gui S.Q., Xiang W., Rohn J. Study on thermal migration and the induced mechanical effects in double-U type energy piles. Computers and Geotechnics. (SCI, IF=1.705). 91(2017):1-11.
- Luo J., Tuo J.S., Huang W., Zhu Y.Q., Jiao Y.Y.*, Xiang W., Rohn J. Influence of groundwater levels on effective thermal conductivity of the ground and heat transfer rate of borehole heat exchangers. Applied Thermal Engineering, (SCI, IF=3.356), 128（2018）508-516.