PhD Student (Nanjing University), visiting scholar
Office: 418 Davis Hall
Chengcheng received his bachelor’s degree in Geological Engineering from Nanjing University (NJU), China. He is currently pursuing his PhD degree under the supervision of Prof. Bin Shi at NJU, with a focus on distributed fiber-optic sensing of land deformation and geologic hazards (landslides, land subsidence, ground rupture, etc.). He has been involved in several fiber optics-based projects in China, e.g., the monitoring of reservoir-induced landslides in the Three Georges Reservoir region and groundwater-related land subsidence in the lower Yangtze River basin. He is the recipient of the Siguang Li Award for Outstanding Students.
Chengcheng is currently a visiting student researcher in the GeoSystems Engineering group at the University of California, Berkeley, where he is working on fiber-optic monitoring of ground deformation under the supervision of Prof. Kenichi Soga.
• Zhang, C.-C., Zhu, H.-H., Liu, S.-P., Shi, B., Zhang, D., 2018. A kinematic method for calculating shear displacements of landslides using distributed fiber optic strain
measurements. Engineering Geology 234, 83–96. doi:10.1016/j.enggeo.2018.01.002
• Zhang, C.-C., Zhu, H.-H., Shi, B., Fatahi, B., 2018. A long term evaluation of circular mat foundations on clay deposits using fractional derivatives. Computers and
Geotechnics 94, 72–82. doi:10.1016/j.compgeo.2017.08.018
• Zhang, C.-C., Zhu, H.-H., Chen, D.-D., Xu, X.-Y., Shi, B., 2018. Feasibility study of anchored fiber-optic strain-sensing arrays for monitoring soil deformation beneath model
foundation. Geotechnical Testing Journal doi:10.1520/GTJ20170321
• Zhang, C.-C., Shi, B., Liu, S.-P., Gu, K., Zhang, L., Wei, G.-Q., 2018. A study of the mechanical coupling between borehole backfill and fiber-optic strain-sensing cable. Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering pp. 1–9. (in press)
• Zhang, C.-C., Zhu, H.-H., Shi, B., 2016. Role of the interface between distributed fibre optic strain sensor and soil in ground deformation measurement. Scientific Reports 6,
• Zhang, C.-C., Zhu, H.-H., Xu, Q., Shi, B., Mei, G.-X., 2015. Time-dependent pullout behavior of glass fiber reinforced polymer soil nail in sand. Canadian Geotechnical
Journal 52, 671–681. doi:10.1139/cgj-2013-0381
• Zhang, C.-C., Zhu, H.-H., Shi, B., She, J.-K., 2014. Interfacial characterization of soil-embedded optical fiber for ground deformation measurement. Smart Materials and Structures 23, 095022. doi:10.1088/0964-1726/23/9/095022